Fundamentals of the CMM
IT organizations are facing challenges to reduce cost, improve quality, improve productivity and customer satisfaction – and improve access to data and information that will enable stronger business processes. The Capability Maturity Model (CMM) was developed to assist organizations in improving the quality of their processes through implementation of processes that are “mature”, meaning that these processes have a high predictability of results and low risk of encountering unknown variables or situations. The model takes an organization through five levels, from Level 1 (Initial) through Level 5 (Optimizing), and measures the operation’s effectiveness at each level based on assessment of certain areas.
This course will offer an overview of the Capability Maturity Model and its applicability to many areas in information systems (data management, process improvement, governance, data warehousing, etc.). The attendee will gain an understanding of the CMM, learn about the various CMM levels and CMM’s role in measuring internally the maturity of an organization’s efforts in one or more areas, and will learn about how to develop a plan for instituting a CMM strategy within their organization. Each attendee will create a basic plan for employing the CMM for their organization and have the opportunity to review it with the instructor and other participants.
Benefits To Your Company
It is often difficult demonstrate how benefits can be achieved quickly enough to satisfy those who need to see results promptly. One method that can show both immediate and strategic results for an approach is maturity modeling, which can be tailored for almost any discipline (software process, software integration, project management, data management, governance, etc.).
The Capability Maturity Model (CMM) and its derivatives instantiated the concepts of examining progression toward “maturity” in some discipline. The CMM-oriented models measure how much an organization uses defined processes to manage some activity (once again: software process development, system integration, data management, etc.).
Who Should Attend
- Data stewards
- Data governance professionals
- Data custodians
- Data architects
- Enterprise architects
- Data administrators
- Business analysts
- Project managers
- IT professionals
- Subject matter experts
- Understand the history of and the purpose of the CMM
- CMM benefits
- Basic structure of the CMM and related maturity models
- CMM content and structure (key process areas, key process indicators, levels, etc,)
- How to develop a basic plan for measuring maturity in your organization for data management, process improvement, governance, etc.
- Further activities within organizations for CMM and related maturity efforts
What Makes This Certified Course Unique
This ICCP-certified course provides participants with practical, in-depth understanding of the Capability Maturity Model. Hands-on workshops throughout the course will reinforce the learning experience and provide the attendees with concrete results that can be used in their organizations.
- Understanding the capability maturity model
- Process improvement
- Assessments – their role in organizational development and management
- CMM in relation to other improvement models
- CMM as part of information management
- CMM fundamentals
- Moving from level to level
- Key process areas and key process indicators
- Relationship between KPA’s
- How to perform a CMM-oriented assessment
- Challenges of assessment
- Appropriate types of assessments using the CMM
- Roles in assessments
- Components of a CMM assessment
- Constructing the assessment scope document
- Defining assessment requirements
- Identifying sources for assessment interviews
- Documenting assessment interviews
- Approaches to assessment development
- Creating the assessment project plan
- Understanding the assessment results
- Evaluating assessment results
- Presenting results
- Using assessment results
- Completing the assessment strategy
- Implementation issues
- Successful strategy situation
- Workshop conclusion
- Summary, additional exercises, sources for further reading, etc.
- 1 day (may be customized as needed)
To learn more about how EWSolutions can provide our World-Class Training for your company or to request a quote, please feel free to contact Anne Marie Smith, our Director of Education at AMSmith@EWSolutions.com.