Enterprise Data Stewardship & Governance: Full Life-Cycle Roadmap
What You Will Recieve
All attendees will receive a free copy of either of David Marco’s top selling books "Building and Managing the Meta Data Repository" or "Universal Meta Data Models".
Attendees also receive a copy of the course materials, speaker notes and a certificate from EWSolutions showing completion of this course. Those graduating with honors will be designated as such on EWSolutions' website.
Data and information are critical assets of any organization, and should be considered as valuable a resource as buildings, employees and products. For a company to gain a significant competitive advantage, it must focus on managing and using its data effectively. Data stewardship and the governance of information assets are essential parts of any relevant information systems strategy for the 21st century. Moreover, without a successful data stewardship and governance program it is impossible to properly implement an enterprise master data management effort or any enterprise spanning activity.
This intensive course will deliver a roadmap for creating and implementing a data governance and stewardship program, based upon successful real-world implementations at several leading edge companies. The attendees will gain an understanding of the importance of data governance, the various types of information management approaches, the data steward’s function in the data-information-knowledge continuum, and will provide proven approaches to the implementation of a data stewardship and governance program. In this EWSolutions-certified course, you will develop a plan for implementing your own governance and stewardship program and you will learn about the organizational structures and roles that are essential to a successful governance/stewardship program.
Space is limited: sign up today!
- Data Stewards
- Data Governance Professionals
- Data Custodians
- Data Architects
- Enterprise Architects
- Data Administrators
- Business Analysts
- Project Managers
- IT Professionals
- Subject Matter Experts
- Provide a full life-cycle approach for implementing a successful data governance and stewardship organization across the enterprise
- A proven method for addressing data quality, integrity and reuse in a data stewardship program
- The role of information assets and their effect on the entire organization
- Fundamentals of data governance and stewardship
- How to develop an effective plan for managing expanding information requirements
- How to address the political issues and organizational challenges of data governance and stewardship
- The importance of data governance to the enterprise
- Develop your organization’s roadmap for data governance and stewardship
- Create your organization’s data governance and stewardship initial project plan
- Define your data governance and stewardship scope and charter
- Learn the intersections and relationships of meta data management to data governance and stewardship
- Develop the specific roles and functions for your organization’s data governance and stewardship teams
- Identify the qualified data stewards within your organization
- Understand data governance and stewardship best practices to avoid the common pitfalls that derail typical governance initiatives
Benefits To Your Company
- Through the chain of accountability, data governance and stewardship increases the confidence the organization has in the data it manages and the use of that data for accurate decision-making. Making decisions based upon timely and accurate data can enable an organization to realize both tangible and intangible benefits for increased value throughout the enterprise.
- Data Governance provides one point of accountability for the control and use of all information assets in an organization. Establishing and maintaining a data governance practice and the role of data stewardship offers the opportunity for an organization to set the focus on managing their crucial information assets.
- Data stewardship and governance provide a common set of reference data, reduced data duplication and a common vocabulary for all of the enterprise’s information assets. These benefits can be translated into savings of money and effort across the organization.
What Makes This Certified Course Unique
- This ICCP-certified course provides participants with practical, in-depth understanding of how to implement a successful enterprise wide data governance and stewardship program. Through case studies and team interaction attendees will attain the real-world implementation skills necessary to build a program for their organization. Attendees will receive examples of the various artifacts that form the documentation of a data governance and stewardship program, and will be able to interact with other attendees to extend their understanding of the importance of starting and maintaining an enterprise-wide data governance and stewardship program. Hands-on workshops throughout the course will reinforce the learning experience and provide the attendees with concrete results that can be used in their organizations.
- Understanding How to Convert Data into Information
- How to Properly Manage Data as a Corporate Asset
- Enterprise Data Management and Governance
- How to Set Attainable Objectives
- Define Scalable Data Management Functions
- Introduction to Data Governance
- Issues and Challenges of Implementing a Data Governance Program
- Key Attributes to a Successful Data Governance Program
- Role of the Data Governance Program in Enterprise Data Management
- Introduction to Data Stewardship
- Understand the Four Types of Data Stewards
- Learn to Identify the Right People to Become Data Stewards
- Issues and Challenges of Data Stewardship
- Key Attributes of Successful Data Stewards
- Role of the Data Stewardship in a Data Governance Program
- Implementing a Data Governance and Stewardship Program
- Defining Governance Requirements
- Identifying Data and Meta Data Sources
- Approaches to Data Governance Development
- Creating the Governance Team
- Integrating Data Stewardship into a Data Governance Program
- Creating the Governance and Stewardship Project Plan
- Constructing Appropriate Governance Documents
- Planning the Maintenance of a Data Governance and Stewardship Program
- Future of Data Governance and Stewardship
- Implementing a Data Governance and Stewardship Program
- Key Pitfalls to Avoid
- How to Break Down Political Barriers
- How to Implement Your Program in Manageable Iterations
- Conclusion, Discussion, References for Additional Study
About The Instructor:
Best known as the world's foremost authority on meta data management, he is an internationally recognized expert in the fields of data warehousing, data governance and enterprise information management. In 2004 David Marco was named the "Melvil Dewey of Metadata" by Crain's Chicago Business as he was selected to their very prestigious "Top 40 Under 40" list. He followed up this honor in 2007 by being named one of DePaul University's "Top 14 Alumni Under 40". In 2008 David Marco was enshrined into the very select DAMA Data Management Hall of Fame (Professional Achievement Award).
David Marco is the author of the widely acclaimed, top-selling books "Universal Meta Data Models" and "Building and Managing the Meta Data Repository". In addition, he is a coauthor of "Impossible Data Warehouse Situations and Solutions From The Experts" and "Data Resource Management". David Marco has published hundreds of articles, is a regular columnist for several technology magazines, is the chairman of the Enterprise Information Management Institute (EIMINSTITUTE.ORG) and has served as a judge in dozens of industry awards.
He is a highly sought after speaker and has presented hundreds of keynote addresses and courses at the major business, data warehousing, and meta data conferences throughout the world. David Marco has taught at the University of Chicago and DePaul University, and is on the Advisory Council for DePaul University's College of Commerce. In addition, he is the founder and President of EWSolutions, a GSA schedule and Chicago-headquartered strategic partner and full life-cycle systems integrator dedicated to providing companies and large government agencies with best-in-class, award-winning solutions using enterprise information management, data warehousing, data governance and managed meta data environment technologies (866) EWS-1100 or visit WWW.EWSOLUTIONS.COM. He may be reached via email at DMarco@EWSolutions.com