Literacy using the spoken and written words is an essential capability for effective communication and information sharing. Data literacy is the ability to derive meaningful information from the proper understanding and use of data.
Data and the creation of relevant information from data, is crucial to an organization’s success, but many companies struggle to develop and sustain the concept of data literacy and the skills in it for their staff.
EWSolutions has been assisting organizations from its inception to realize their goals for data literacy, since many of these skills are included in aspects of data management, data governance, metadata management, data quality, etc.
Data literacy includes the following capabilities:
- Storytelling with data
- Qualitative and Quantitative Analysis
- Common Data Analysis Mistakes
- Data Analysis Distribution and Testing
- Data Structures and Data Traits
- Understanding the policies and processes that mange / govern data throughout the organization
- Understanding the context / meaning / definitions of data used – and how that context is affected by changes to definition / format / etc.
- Understanding the level of quality expected for a data attribute or dataset, and knowing the actual level of quality – and how to manage the differences
- Knowing what data is appropriate for a particular purpose – and where to access it
- Interpreting data visualizations (charts, graphs, etc.) and how to use the correct visualization for a particular purpose
- Thinking critically with data to enable analysis
- Recognizing when data or information is misused or misrepresented and how to prevent those actions
- Communicating information correctly to others, employing the ability of data storytelling to make business cases with accurate and appropriate data